Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Preliminaries

Hi! I've created this blog for the general purpose of organizing my thoughts concerning the different books I read. By writing about each book I complete, I hope to further understand my relationship to the text and to the act itself. I apologize for any lapses in my critical judgments, as this is a new experience for me - one which whose purpose is fundamentally instructional and educational. I will be learned as I go along, but who isn't? Hopefully this blog will also be helpful and maybe even *gasp* entertaining to someone other than myself.

The title of blog comes from two sources. The first is a quotation from Barnett Newman, "Aesthetics is for the artist as ornithology is for the birds." The second is from one of the most inspirational writers in my own life, John Cage, who commented that "I am for the birds, not for the cages people put them in." 

Some quick information about myself. My name is Allen Mozek, I am soon to graduate from the undergrad creative writing program at SUNY Purchase, in Westchester, New York & I am a poet. I am currently looking for apartments to move into New York, where I hope to get a start to my publishing career and also investigate potential graduate programs.

And if you disagree with any of my statements, please, feel free to comment! Even if you agree with me, please comment! In addition to any personal goals of this blog, I also wish to aid in the perpetuation of a greater literary community  founded upon participation and communication.

No comments: